Thursday, January 28, 2010

Introducing: THIS GUY

Mah name's Brett Berish. My parents adore alliteration, clearly. 'Neways, I'm originally from New Jersey, grew up there, went to high school at a tiny private school that closed my graduating year. Then, I went to art school in Columbus Ohio, studying "Industrial Design" (you'd know it as Product Design.) I never fell in love with it, which turned out to be okay, because my father moved the entire family to San Diego for work reasons. Best place ever. Don't leave. I've been to Palomar (to do high-school courses not required in NJ, but required here), CSUSM undergrad, and even with going to three different colleges, STILL managed to get my degree in 4 years. BOOYAH.


For technology experience...jeez Louise I've toyed with 'em all.  They slung one into my room when I was a wee one, and I've been toying with them ever since. PC, Mac, Linux, BSD, and cell phone OS's. Webside I've diddled with Apache server and some basic PHP, plus the Adobe CS3 suite like crazy. I've actually got a Saturday job teaching the Adobe suite to 7-11 year olds. It's a hoot. (oh, and I'm using Office '08 Mac.)


Looking at the COE mission statement, it's a buzzword bomb. It's a ~GOAL~, it's lofty and ick ick ick ick. In my grad major, Educational Technology down at SDSU, we actually devote a large amount of time in how-to convert totally ridiculous things like the COE mission statement into measureable things. Nobody can measure that "we're commited to ongoing service," but we could measure things like, say, 'do teachers email students to find out how they're doing once they're out of that class.' As goals go, COE's is a good one, but like all goals, it's very smushy and not-concrete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment